Monday, November 11, 2013

Early Elf Visit was a Success!

My kids woke up this morning to find their elf Holly on the table sitting with her turkey and her poem.  They were so excited to see her back!

 They each read the poem and after they got ready for school, they each wrote down something they were thankful for! Today they were each thankful for their elf.

 I have three kids by the way.  A son 9 (who will be 10 Christmas Day) and two daughters 8 and 6! 

 My youngest even shared a piece of pop tart with Holly and drew her a picture of a heart!  When she got to school there was an older child opening the car door at the student drop off and as soon as she went to get out of the car she said "I can't believe I had an elf come to my house!" I just sprinkled a couple small crumbs on Holly's collar from the Pop Tart my daughter left her!  Can't wait until she notices!!

Some people believe the poems are too much work but honestly they take me maybe 20 minutes (they're harder when I forget to do them)! They're simple really  and the kids really like them.  I pick a topic or idea. Sometimes based on something that happened or a craft or gift I have in mind.  I will also give praise.  The poems sometimes talk about school if they did well on a test or even their behavior. 

The important thing is if you do write your own, is always make it positive in the end.  Kids need that!  If they have a bad day  let them know their elf saw it but maybe throw in a way to fix it or to just try a little harder next time. (I have a child that has a very hard time controlling their emotions due to a disorder).  Our elf has been a very POSITIVE experience!!!!

If you need any help tying words together for a poem of your own let me know!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment